How do I qualify for Education Credit?

This interview will help you determine if you're eligible for certain educational credits or deductions including the American Opportunity Credit, the Lifetime Learning Credit, and the Tuition and Fees Deduction.

There's an additional requirement for a taxpayer identification number (SSN or ITIN) to be valid for claiming the American Opportunity Tax Credit. The "Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes (PATH) Act of 2015" requires you and the qualifying person to have an SSN (or ITIN) assigned on or before the due date of the return or on or before the extended due date if an extension is timely filed. For new ITIN applications, the IRS will consider the ITIN as issued on or before the due date of a return if the IRS receives the Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Tax payer Identification Number, on or before the due date of the return and an ITIN is issued as a result of the application.

Information You'll Need:

  • Filing status
  • Student's enrollment status
  • Your adjusted gross income
  • Who paid the expenses, when the expenses were paid, and for what academic period
  • If any expenses were paid with tax-exempt funds
  • If any expenses were paid with distributions from a Coverdell Education Savings Account or Qualified Tuition Program

The tool is designed for use by taxpayers that were U.S. citizens or resident aliens for the entire tax year for which they're inquiring about. If married, the spouse must also have been a U.S. citizen or resident alien for the entire tax year. For information regarding nonresidents or dual-status aliens, please see Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens.

No Comments Yet.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Visit Us On FacebookVisit Us On Linkedin